Friday, October 23, 2009

Amandeep Kohli, IMT Ghaziabad

Below the Line Marketing: An under-the-pant approach
When you hear the word Below the Line, and you here refers to us soulless MBA types, you normally associate it with promotions and short-term incentives. For instance, Wikipedia (May God Bless it creators) defines BTL as “forms of non-media communication such as short-term incentives, largely aimed at consumers”. But that’s so boring right!

So let me define the real meaning of Below the Line marketing – a truly interesting concept which applies to all items that can be marketed from the waist downward so as to speak. Well that leaves us with rather odd assortment of choices starting with the Jockeys and Amul Machos of the world. And let’s just confine the contents of this post to the men’s department or else I might be sued for vulgarity. So here goes your crash course in Below the Line Marketing.

I thought that before going on to talk about the different types of ways to market such items, I would define the meaning of the “Line” first. Because essentially speaking, there are different types of lines in this world – from thin to fat to black to white; but I think you get the drift so I’ll stop right here.

If you look at the advertisements, all of them seem to focus on the male libido with the exception of Amul Macho which for reasons only known to them decided to focus on monkeys and apes. Talk about monkeying around! In my opinion, all underwear manufacturers should tie up with condom companies and sell the two as a co-branded product. This will go a long long way in dealing with our nation’s fight against AIDS because everyone might not buy condoms but everyone definitely does buy undies man. This will also keep various NGO’s happy as your company will be seen as one serious about CSR and increase your brand value. Voila!

Hey and in case you think my ideas about Below the Line are crazy and out-right demented, you’re in for a huge surprise buddy. For I have other enlightened fellows like me in this world who’re always thinking about the health of our society by keeping your funny bones tickling. Want proof. Here’s one:

These days everyone’s talking about the recession and how marketers especially should cut costs. Well, looks like someone really thought Below the Line in this case and as this article in TheDailyBlonde points out new BJs are only 99cents! Well I dunno how much the old ones were worth but this one is a definite cracker of a deal for all the men out there and especially for those who didn’t believe in God!


Now that you’ve really got the clear meaning of all the fundas about Below the Line marketing, well, what in the devil’s name are you still doing here reading this Gospel? Get out there and dazzle the world with your new found knowledge. And make sure you wear a little protective gear around your private parts ‘cause you might just get kicked Below the Line'.

113 comments:

  1. I like the way u have related such a lame concept with basic human needs :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like... to kick u below the line... its nice man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of co-branding undies and condoms

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way u have used cobranding concept...I see a huge opportunity here :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the concept!! Nice read..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way humour has been used to come up with an interesting idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way the topic has been dealt with....

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey its nice..i like d humor mixed wid a marketing term..though "below the line" has really gone below the table but its funny and captivating till d end of d post n in marketing dis is vat matters..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this vision ... not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like your perspective... good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny post to understand below the line marketing.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it.. simply.. no words.. its a really gud work..

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like it... nice piece of writing bro

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the post...very well written

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the new angle given to the BTL concept..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like BJs at 99 cents full paisa vasool
    nice post BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like it. Comes out as random, but useful nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i like the idea of a lil AIDS awareness you are trying to spread, and that too in a funny way.....nice....u have a way with words that i didnt kno of,but its good!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i like the inherent enlightenment in your Gospel..we faithful await your next revelation o messaiah

    ReplyDelete
  20. i like the thought.. great article

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like this post; insightful article indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I Like the way you write bhai... keep bloggin away :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. i like the way AIDS awareness is being shown

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nicely done!!!! awesome work

    ReplyDelete
  25. i like your concepts and the depth from which they have come :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the touch of humour which was prevailing throughout... nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the way you explained the concept...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like that I like ur post... ;) and that u might garner some support for AIDS awareness... and that I might not attend my class today... :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the way you have put across the subtle AIDS awareness message along with humor..:) An apt BTL... :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Way to go for under-line-marketing! a good thought!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the way your blog is designed..

    ReplyDelete
  32. i like it!
    mashallah, subanallah!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. i like the fresh take on BTL ... naaiice :P

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Singh...future professor in the making!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like the way humour has been used to explain such a boring concept ;) Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like the post Aman...very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like the way you put it across. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i like... the concept of "a BJ for 99cents"

    ReplyDelete
  39. I like...the "totally unexpected" treatment of the topic...how about something on "bottom of the pyramid" next! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like the way u have related such a lame concept

    ReplyDelete
  41. I like the novelty in the way you have put the idea. Nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I like the way you have put forward the tacit ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I like..the way the whole post goes..great work..:)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I liked the article, well thought !

    ReplyDelete
  45. i like.. to have one.. here's my dollar.. keep the change

    ReplyDelete
  46. I like the way it is construed....

    ReplyDelete
  47. I like the presentation style and the linking of the concept to the real world... Great work

    ReplyDelete