Friday, October 23, 2009

Vikas Bansal, IIT Madras

Customer Value Creation: Give up the control and flourish!!!
Customer Value can be created through umpteen ways. I will be putting my perspective on how to create customer value by “Giving up the control”. Bizarre it may sound but I have a small story which goes like this.

Visiting big retail chain and watching thousands of products displayed elegantly has always been an exhilarating experience for me. One hundred types of Soups, great variety of organic food, stimulating collection of sausages has always given the kick to gourmet like me. I tried to explore the reason, why retail chains emphasize so much on display of products. Marketing aficionados told me that the reason is obvious, not even worth discussing. More product display means better exposure, which further coerce customers to buy products, which otherwise they would not have bought. I took the logic and convinced myself that the use of million square feet of floor space to display products is to stimulate latent customer needs and in process fuel sales!!! Phew…

But one day something happened which impelled me to question this fundamental (stimulate latent needs), which was nothing less than a gospel for me, till now. I was in the process of buying laptop from Dell. When I came to making a payment, the nice lady form Dell put on IVR system and I could make the payment in seconds without revealing the details of my credit card to anyone (though I wouldn’t have minded it giving to the lady ;)). I felt liberated, literally. I felt like a free bird, which can fly in any direction, anywhere. This event led to genesis of following hypothesis.

Displaying items alone can’t make customer buy anything. But the display of products in retails is meant to give control in the hands of customers. It makes them feel liberated. (S)He thinks that (s)he has been emancipated. This emancipation is manifested in his/her purchase behavior. She (generally!!!) ends up buying bizarre products, which otherwise he would not have bought.


Given an option to choose between two restaurants, one would tend to choose the restaurant with more choices, even though he may always order the same things. This happens because more options mean more control. More control aggravates his latent needs. Vending machines, Millions of tariff plans by telecom service providers; elaborated menu all put the control in the hand of customer and lets him decide their fate.

In short if you want to create a unique value of the customer, be ready to give up the control. Give it in the hands of your customers. They value it and will surely pay you back, generously.
What do you people think??? Does it make any sense or it’s just a figment of my imagination? Comments are invited.

80 comments:

  1. I agree with this blog! Its the very human psychology to hanker for choices and hence control. We all like control and this blog present it very beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work dude....I like the way you market your ideas n thoughts..... Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree to a large extent on your view. Its very true for retail industry and the hospitality industry. But will it be true for a corporate customer who makes a more informed decision, or probably to a retail investor who is making a large investment. To what extent can u fool customers by giving him extra degrees of freedom, but without giving him a tangible value proposition? A food for thought..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bulls eye, Vikas.. exact explanation for a phenomenon that is so common, yet people try to provide convoluted logic for explaining things they don't understand completely..

    I liked the way you approached the subject matter of the post.. Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing chain of thought!!!The blog sheds great light on human psychology while taking purchasing decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way u brought it out .... esp the 3 stage model

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing thought and beautifully explained...I like it.... keep it up.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it the way you presented it..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like it....
    brilliant observation.
    I am the Grim Dreamer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great one. Your Perspectives are scaling new heights. keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  13. great article yaar.... I really like it

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It will give us some food for thought...good work

    ReplyDelete
  16. i like the way you presented your thoughts...nice read...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good one..liked it ..might not be true in all situations but a new perspective ... keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey!
    Its really good, I like it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have presented the reality in few simple words with great flow! i liked it. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like it. My comment to increase the votes for vikas. nahi toh roz mail karke jaan khata rahega vikas ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome work.. great job !!! I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i believe it depends on the geography where your business is ! For India ,this strategy may not go well as studies have shown that Indians prefers "Feel and Good " factor .. in a sense that when you go to buy a television set as a buyer you expect some company representative or the reatail store representative explain you all the factors and give you assurance that yes dont worry we are here to help you post purchase !! so giving the control totally to market may not well goes here in india but can be a good idea for Europe market where consumer dont like to get interupted with sales representatives while making purchase.

    if my business concentrate only on grocery items in store like reliance or More this may go well and i will surely gaive a like to the idea BUT

    if i would be a VC i will think again !! to give a like to this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey U have raised a valid point..But even in India people are becoming more sophicated and dey have started to beleive that dey know the things....So its better to leave them alone and let them decide their fate....But I like your viewpoint

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like (The rule says the post shud start with I like!!) Nice perspective. As a customer, I would love to have the control but I would hate to give away the control, as a retailer or company! Some customers are ill-equipped to handle the control that they get, hence your liberated approach works for the ones who know how to handle the power in their hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. good work.. you have put forward a very innovative thought! and i agree to the point raised that it depends on where we can apply this logic of giving control. But in the market where product purchase depends more on personal taste than technical intricacies, this idea can definitely be considered.

    ReplyDelete
  27. well done.......good stuff.... i like it

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good stuff to read and know!!!!!!!!
    I like it

    ReplyDelete
  29. NIce post! Though I dont agree with it completely but still a different approach.. A nice way to look at it..

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well..Options is always what a customer whats...An example in Telecom would be CDMA handsets give less options vis-a-vis GSM handsets. However now that Open Market Handsets have come in picture in CDMA, things might change..again what has happened is more OPTIONS for customers in the form of Open Market Handsets in CDMA.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A whole new dimension....great thinking dude...like it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good one..keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like it...nice perspectives bro ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like it...the funda of co-creation has picked up across industries now...Nike did a Dell, when they had customers design their own shoes at their site...nd all this originates from the idea of giving up control!

    btw, I think this particular competition is a nice marketing initiative by MICA for their event...as through the few enthusiasts in every b-school, they are reaching out to the rest of the junta...and thus promoting MICANVAS! I like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ya .. dats very true. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Points well taken :D, Perspective of'Loosing Control' is really novel

    ReplyDelete
  38. i like it...keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  39. I like it and hope to see some more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  40. hey buddy it actually makes sense..your hypothesis is definitely true!
    Hence, more the control= more customer creation
    a mind-boggling post dude :-) keep it UP!!

    ReplyDelete