Friday, October 23, 2009

Pranava Boyidapu, IIM Calcutta

Break Even Point
Neha sipped on her coffee slowly as she waited for Ajay to come. Thoughtful, she stared into the haze of the steam rising above the coffee. She had been waiting for this day for three years now. Finally it has come.

Jiya ran into her house along with her mother running away from all the press. Her father was to be arrested with regard to some money managing scheme that Jiya did not understand. Her mother cried her heart out all night and abused Mr Mathur for cheating them, while the police lowered took her father in.

Ajay was Neha’s client and they had previously closed a deal where Neha guided Ajay on a huge investment in real estate that cost him about 1.8 crore which was almost all his life savings. Even though Ajay was about seven years older than her, after the deal he asked her out since they weren’t maintaining a professional relation anymore. This made Neha even more nervous. She had never dated a client before. But even more importantly she had been waiting for this day for three years now. Finally it has come.

Mr. Mathur had taken a huge loan from Jiya’s father against his house in Gurgaon to start his own manufacturing paper manufacturing unit. It was later found that the house was not his and the papers that were signed were not real. But Jiya’s father could not escape from his lenders.

Ajay was happy to see Neha finally.

“Sorry, the traffic kept me up. But I’m glad we could find time for this little meeting of ours”

“Not gladder than I”, Neha smiled.

“So what shall we order before we start talking about each other?”

“Well, let’s see! A fraud investment?”. Neha looked steely eyed at Ajay.

“Oh! Cut the work jokes now Neha! We are on a personal meeting, like a date, you know…”

“Yes! Very personal indeed! I have some news for you. The island paradise where you bought land for your new hotel just now! It’s vanished!”

“Neha! You must be joking! What is all this?”

“Ok. Let me explain, the Indian Ocean keeps swallowing and vomiting every now and then. So last night it swallowed your little island of money.” Neha sneered at him.

Ajay turned ashen, “What are you saying?!”

“I am saying that your 1.8crore drowned in the Indian Ocean and there is nothing you can do about it! It’s a risk you took. Sorry, did I not bold and underline that risk clause?” Neha smiled innocently at him.

As Ajay was trying to grasp the essence of this, Neha placed her coffee cup down, got up to go.
“I guess it’s a bad time for a date Mr. Ajay Mathur.” And she was about to leave when Ajay called out to her.

“Neha..”

“The name’s Jiya! You might remember this news article!” She placed on the table a small paper clip. The paper clip was about scandal of Mr. Rajeev Agarwaal.

“Now here comes the point when I break it to you, that I m his daughter! Well I guess now we are even!”

Neha turned on heel and walked out leaving a dumbstruck Ajay.

18 comments:

  1. I Like! Especially that 'the Indian Ocean keeps swallowing and vomiting every now and then'! Also “..I break it to you...now we are even!”.. Break-Even.. Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like as well. But i guess u can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like ... but I think you could make it even better !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Like! Especially that 'the Indian Ocean keeps swallowing and vomiting every now and then'! Also “..I break it to you...now we are even!”.. Break-Even.. Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like! Short and crisp. That's a thoughtful title by the way.

    ReplyDelete